- double spacing
- wide left/right margins 3 cm / 1.25 inches; top/bottom 2.5 cm/1 inch is fine
- consecutively numbered pages (yes, honest!)
- a 12 point clear script
- printed in Normal, not Draft mode
- indented paragraphing without a space between paragraphs - so if your software adds in a line space, or a half line space automatically after a hard return, go into Format and turn it off
- been thoroughly proofread (yes, honest!)
- a word count – computer counted is usual for short fiction and articles; for novels check whether your intended market uses a computer count or white space count. There could be up to a 20% difference.
- do not bind. Paperclip short work and use a C5/C4 envelope for posting. Long work can be secured with elastic bands and inserted in a cheap cardboard wallet file for protection; use a padded envelope for security
- SAE for short work, return postage for long – or you’ll never hear from it again
My long and short fiction skirmishes through Mythic Fiction, Paranormal, Horror, Thriller, Crime, Historical, Literary, SF, Fantasy, Mainstream, Romance and Western. Sign up for my new releases Newsletter (and receive a useful freebie) or Follow the Blog by email as I chat about all things writing related.
17 January 2010
Presentation - Layout
It shouldn’t need to be repeated, but considering what comes across my desk I feel I must. Writers do themselves no favours if they don’t stick to the industry standard when approaching markets. Ensure your typescript has: